Learn how Write a Guitar Solo with Deep Purple Legend Steve Morse
Known for his intricate, original solos, innovative guitar techniques and musical versatility across several genres, Steve Morse is undoubtedly a legend of rock guitar.
As founder of the Dixie Dregs, guitarist for Flying Colors, and Deep Purple’s axe-man for 25 years, his achievements in rock are unequalled.
Now, Steve shares his secrets in the art of guitar soloing in Steve Morse: Melodic Rock Guitar Concepts.
It’s a phrasing masterclass… but so much more besides!
Steve Morse is a storyteller at heart, and when it comes to soloing he thinks like a composer, which allows him to improvise with breathtaking musicality. This book teaches you to develop the mindset and skillset to play compositional, and melodic rock guitar solos.
Steve Morse First Teaches You These Guitar Techniques:
- How to create vocal, melodic phrasing
- How to develop motifs to build guitar solos
- How to use diverse rhythms to create engaging guitar melodies
- Hot to create well-formed phrases with momentum and direction
- How to use space to punctuate ideas and keep your listeners engaged
Then Freshen Up Your Playing With These Rut-Busting Approaches
- How to combine different rhythms in fast-picked passages
- How to sequence ideas to avoid clichéd patterns
- How to add passing notes to create fresh hybrid soloing shapes
- How to use string skipping to create modern, unpredictable phrases
- How to use multiple bends to span the bar line
Lifting the Lid
Melodic Rock Guitar Concepts shows you the influences that have shaped Steve’s unique guitar style and he shares how he has adapted is favorite country licks into a rock context. You’ll also discover how Charlie Parker was a great influence, and how to recreate many of Steve’s chromatic bebop inspired licks.
You’ll also learn how Morse visualizes scales and master a set of challenging picking drills to sharpen your technique.
To conclude, Steve presents a guitar masterclass on how to create tension/resolution in your solos while adding some outside-inside interest.
Accessible Melodic Rock Guitar Vocabulary
The material here is taught around four original tracks, specially written for this book.
Track 1 – Teaches you dominant chord focused phrases with a New Orleans-style funky rocking groove
Track 2 – Offers major chord focused phrases over an energetic, driving rock tune
Track 3 – Teaches you minor chord focused phrases with a mid-tempo hard rock blues with a twist
Track 4 – This is a heavy blues that showcases tension and resolution and explains how Steve utilizes the Half-Whole Diminished scale
For each track you’ll learn:
- The rhythm guitar part
- A complete solo, often with multiple guitar parts
- A detailed solo breakdown taught via a series of two- and four-bar examples
Learn from A Modern Rock Guitar God
Steve Morse – Melodic Rock Guitar Concepts is a masterclass in hard rock guitar soloing.
It’s not just a rich and varied collection of amazing licks, it’s a one-on-one session with a rock guitar icon as he shares his phrasing, melodic, technical, and musical strategies.
This book includes a download of 75 audio examples and backing tracks, along with all the usual clear notation and TAB.
If you’re ready to master these devastating melodic rock guitar soloing ideas, buy Steve Morse – Melodic Rock Guitar Concepts today…