Revolutionize Your Blues Guitar Playing with a Modern Master
“Josh Smith is one of my favorite musicians on the planet. His musical depth and guitar playing transcend the boundaries of the blues genre into a genre of his own.”
Josh Smith has taken the world of modern blues guitar playing by storm and now it’s possible to get unprecedented access to the thinking and techniques of this giant of the guitar world.
Modern Blues Guitar Soloing is a deep dive into the concepts that have brought Josh recognition as one of the most innovative and respected players of today.
All the Tools of the Modern Blues Guitarist, Explained and Musically Applied
This book teaches you Josh’s language in the more common musical situations the modern blues guitar player will encounter:
- The blues shuffle
- Funk blues
- High-energy jump blues
- Blues ballads
- Classic rock blues
You’ll learn tons of new, creative blues vocabulary over these tried and tested musical forms, but more importantly, you’ll understand how to apply familiar musical concepts in brand new ways. Josh Smith teaches…
- Feel and phrasing – make your guitar sing with feel and dynamics to create a powerful reaction in your audience
- Musical limitation – use Josh’s technique of limiting yourself to make every note count
- Storytelling devices – transcend licks and actually tell a story with your solos.
- Thematic playing – call and response and creative repetition are all backed up with highly musical examples
- Country and Jazz infusion – discover how Josh draws from other musical genres and transforms these ideas into incredible modern blues guitar licks
- Rhythmic variation – understand how to manipulate rhythm and time in your playing to greater effect, using odd note groupings and cutting against the groove
- Hybrid picking – learn Josh’s unique take on hybrid picking to create stunning licks and runs
Level-Up with Insights from a Modern Blues Master
Next, Josh takes you a step further by showing you how to apply the musical concepts in a natural, musical way, giving you all the tools you need to develop these ideas for yourself. You’ll acquire a whole new trick bag of licks and lines to enhance and elevate your blues guitar playing. As we get into the nitty gritty, you’ll learn…
- How to play through rather than over the chord changes
- How to use chromatic passing notes to enhance traditional pentatonic scales
- The implied chord changes soloing technique
- How to spontaneously create a captivating theme for your solo
- How to use jazz enclosures to form exciting blues licks
- Blend scales to create useful new hybrid approaches
Get Creative with Josh’s Amazing Guitar Backing Tracks
For Modern Blues Guitar Soloing, Josh wanted to provide you with the best learning tools possible, so he got in the studio with drummer Lemar Carter and bassist Travis Carlton to lay down five killer backing tracks which you can download for free.
Which means, not only can you work on nailing the licks, you also get to jam with the finest blues rhythm section in the world.
Refine your skills and elevate your blues soloing to new heights!
This book includes a free download of over 90 audio examples plus five pro backing tracks, clear notation and tablature, and detailed explanations of every example.
If you’re ready to master the language of modern blues guitar, buy it now…