Master Melodic Walking Bass with John Patitucci
“Even if you’re playing a scale run, it’s possible to make it sound like the most beautiful piece of music you ever heard!” – John Patitucci
John Patitucci is one of the few world-class bass players who is equally respected for both electric and upright bass. In John Patitucci Walking Bass, he shares his strategy for building powerful, melodic walking basslines that both upright and electric jazz bass players can use to perfect their skills.
Play jazz basslines by thinking like a composer
At the heart of his walking bass method, John Patitucci teaches you to think compositionally, and you’ll discover that walking bass is not just a way to connect the chords by any means. He demonstrates how everyline can be a strong melodic statement in its own right.
The musical way to master walking bass, with John Patitucci
You’ll hone these essential skills on electric and upright bass:
- How to compose and use well-conceived basslines with strong, driving melodies
- Hundreds of walking bass movements so you can discover John’s jazz vocabulary
- How to tastefully spice up the harmony and walk on the most common progressions in jazz
- A simple strategy to adapt your basslines when the chord changes are altered or substituted
Melodic walking bass from simple to complex
John Patitucci Walking Bass begins with a look at the essential ii V I VI7 sequence that forms the backbone of hundreds of jazz standards. However, each chapter develops this sequence further with essential harmonic concepts to alter the harmony… each of which becomes more radical as you progress.
This incremental bass method teaches you to walk on any chord changes, no matter how radical.
- Discover the Four Guiding Principles John uses to compose strong, memorable basslines that have interest and momentum
- Learn to focus your basslines to start simple, then add layers of complexity
- Master 15 specially composed bass etudes that give unparalleled insight into John’s walking bass approach and vocabulary
Each one of John Patitucci’s 15 beautiful bass etudes is broken down into easy-to-digest cells, so you can learn quickly and efficiently.
Master Two-Beat and Four-Beat walking bass feel
Playing half time or “two-beat” is a technique all the bass masters have used, from Ray Brown to Paul Chambers. Each of John’s 15 walking bass etudes begins with a two-beat passage to help you develop a deeper sense of feel and swing, before moving into a regular walking pattern.
Level-up your jazz bass skills today
It’s rare you get the opportunity to sit down with a true bass legend and learn exactly how they work their magic. In Walking Bass, John Patitucci unravels the mystery of bass virtuosity.
- He demystifies the complexity of walking bass, giving you clear, easy principles that work every time to create great music
- He shows you where to focus your efforts to get immediate results from your practice time
- He teaches his rock-solid solid strategy for playing over even the most complex jazz changes, so you never miss a beat
… and much more!
Don’t just play walking bass, hear it!
To help you capture his time and feel John recorded each of the 15 musical etudes in his NYC studio. You can download them all for free from our dedicated website.