Discover Modern Saxophone Licks for Jazz Guitar
Ready to supercharge your jazz guitar playing with progressive modern saxophone lines?
Want to play the jazz language of the post-bop modern sax masters?
The saxophone has always been at the forefront of modern jazz and has blazed new pathways of melodic improvisation. So to be an authentic modern jazz guitarist, it’s essential to learn the language of the saxophonists who broke new ground to the artform.
Jazz guitar legend Ulf Wakenius had the privilege of playing with many of these outstanding saxophone innovators, including Michael Brecker and Joe Henderson. In this book, he presents a unique modern jazz guitar approach as he teaches how jazz guitarists can learn and apply the language of these legendary saxophonists to create burning licks and solos.
Far more than a “just another lick book” – this is the most practical post-bop modern jazz masterclass you can buy.
Deep Dive into the Saxophone Soloing Language of Coltrane, Brecker and more – All Written and Notated for Jazz Guitar
You’ll learn the secrets of 5 iconic modern jazz innovators, along with hundreds of licks, phrases, solos and concepts to break away from clichéd guitar language.
You’ll master the jazz saxophone language of…
- John Coltrane – a towering figure of bebop, post-bop and modal jazz
- Joe Henderson – the master of phrasing and rhythmic variation
- Wayne Shorter – one of the most powerful and creative voices of modern jazz
- Michael Brecker – a master craftsman who makes simple ideas sound complex and exciting
- Joshua Redman – the most sublimely lyrical of the new generation of players
As well as learning hundreds of great modern jazz licks for guitar, you’ll get a detailed analysis of each player’s style to understand the thinking behind their licks.
What You’ll Learn
This book teaches the central concepts of the post-bop modernist approach and shows hundreds of ways to apply these ideas.
- Over 100 authentic modern jazz saxophone licks written for guitar in notation and TAB
- How to create and apply cutting edge Coltrane patterns to break away from arpeggio soloing
- The sophisticated substitution techniques of John Coltrane and Michael Brecker
- How to combine enclosures, sequences and approach notes to create fresh soloing ideas
- The easy guide to melodic side-steps and other creative ways to add tension
- How to play beautifully constructed phrases over popular standards, every time.
5 Iconic Players, 5 Must-Know Jazz Standards
Licks for each player are taught over the chord changes to one of their iconic recordings. As well as building your jazz vocabulary you’ll learn to solo like a pro over beautiful jazz standards, all while perfectly outlining the changes.
Get The Audio!
Along with painstakingly transcribed examples and exercises in notation and TAB, Modern Saxophone Licks for Jazz Guitarcomes with every single line as an audio track you can download for free.
Praise for Ulf Wakenius
“Just great!” – Pat Metheny
“He plays the guitar like he was born with it in his hands,”- John McLaughlin
“Humungous chops!” – Pat Martino
If you want to break out of the box when it comes to jazz guitar soloing, and inject the modern sounds of the saxophone legends, check out Modern Saxophone Licks for Jazz Guitar today!